Tuesday 9 April 2013

Coral Tree Colony, Ramsgate


Sense and Sensibility


The accommodation at the KwaZulu-Natal South Coast could be described as a little “confined and unvarying”, mostly taking the form of scandalously under-decorated, bland apartments. In contrast, and since I have been watching too many Jane Austen movies of late, I find myself quite captivated by the Georgian, Cape Cod style beach manor house Coral Tree Colony in Southbroom. I quickly determine that we shall become the best of friends.

What lends this establishment distinction is its happy situation at the top of the 12th hole of the local golf course. With park-like rolling lawns down to views of the sea, it’s a fair prospect, I’ll grant you that.

What I love about Coral Tree Colony:
  • Cape Cod architecture, in the form of a double storey white manor house, with wrap-around verandas at both levels
  • Separate entrances to each room, with glass double doors opening onto the veranda
  • Silky white linen and matching white wooden furniture, with gentle sage-green walls
  • Ball-and-claw bath next to a window
  • Views of the golf course and ocean beyond

Accommodation Experience
I comfort myself that I have yet to encounter a mediocre linen experience at one of the elegant Portfolio Collection establishments, and I know that there is a linen god secreted amongst those stylish ladies. Thus I am determined that nothing but the very softest of linen will induce me to slumber tonight. I am not disappointed and the linen is as soft as it is silky. I actually lift the duvet in an attempt to ascertain its origin.

In a period where tacky modernism pervades (she said with somewhat unwarranted pride and prejudice), Coral Tree Colony gains distinction amongst its peers for both sense and sensibility. I have already booked my return trip to this elegant haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment