Saturday 6 July 2013

Goble Palms, Morningside, Durban



Edwardian Haven


The description of “a beautiful Edwardian Lodge, set high up on the ridge, overlooking the sea, in Morningside” was more than enough for me and I made my cheerful way to Goble Palms during mid-winter in ever mild and sunny Durban.


A Regency girl at heart, I was not disappointed by the grand scale of the rooms, high windows and double doors. True to their slogan “Contemporary Colonial Comfort”, the decor at Goble palms is opulent, rich and embracing. Oversized furniture matches the spaciousness of the rooms, while pale taupe brushed linen curtains and blinds provide a calming effect. Soft white cottons are offset against dark wooden furniture. Gilded lamp stands and carved golden mirrors punctuate the look with glamour.


What I love about Goble Palms:

  • Interconnected Edwardian buildings with a clever use of space and rooms facing different directions
  • Conveniently situated in a quiet, green suburb and high on a hill, but with easy access to Durban central or Durban North
  • A multitude of verandahs and patios make the most of every aspect of the Durban sunshine and sea breezes
  • High windows and double doors allow the rooms to feel light and airy despite their size
  • Ball and claw baths face onto green palms outside
  • Thick carpets, comfy couches, tiled bathrooms and cool white cotton bed-linen
  • Friendly and professional staff
  • Complementary sherry and Amarula liquor


Accommodation Experience:
I have heard it said that an extrovert draws energy from being with people, whereas an introvert draws energy from time alone. Goble Palms certainly caters for both – for the extroverts it is well placed near the trendy restaurants and clubs of Florida Road, while the manor house itself has plentiful indoor and outdoor seating areas, creating small and larger sociable spaces in which to gather and process the day’s adventures in the company of others. However, I fall into the latter category, and after a week of intensive training, I am seeking solitude and stillness to recharge my social batteries. 

I am delighted to find my room both private and open to the lovely rustling palms. I partake in a strange, furtive dance, sneaking between my room and the communal lounge to swap mammoth, delectable decor books, one after another. I spend a happy, calm evening enjoying the books, my favourite pieces of music and the cool Durban breeze from my open double doors and bay windows. As dark falls, the glow of my bedside lamps create a halo effect of my four-poster mosquito net, contributing to the tranquil haven. As my stress levels decrease, I can indeed feel my creative and outgoing energy rising and soon I will be ready to go out into the world again with enthusiasm and zest – but perhaps not quite yet ...


No comments:

Post a Comment